Research Paper Blog Post #2
The rabbit hole goes deeper! As my research on my research topic continues, I am grateful for the excellent advice Dr. Gorski gave on creating a spreadsheet with all the various papers we are looking at and categorizing them.
One jumping off point that I've found is a paper called "An empirical study into the learning practices and enculturation of DJs, turntablists, hip hop and dance music producers". This is pretty much exactly what I'm interested in exploring; however, I think that since the class is concerned with the social and communicative aspects of the internet and ICTs, that pivoting a bit towards exploring SoundCloud and how it affects the learning practices of contemporary music producers makes sense.
I found a good but very short article on SoundCloud: Understanding social media and sound: music, meaning and membership, the case of SoundCloud. I think this article is a great direction to go in, but because SoundCloud is relatively new, I think that I might have to expand my search to include MySpace and possibly to sites that are less social network and more file sharing, as Dr. Gorski mentioned, like Napster and BitTorrent.
Doing a search with Myspace + "music production" was fruitful and led to some good articles. So, I think I'm going on the right track, and it's close enough to my deep interest to still be deeply interesting; also, I believe that learning this context will inform my understanding of music production learning practices in the current state of the internet and ICTs.
One jumping off point that I've found is a paper called "An empirical study into the learning practices and enculturation of DJs, turntablists, hip hop and dance music producers". This is pretty much exactly what I'm interested in exploring; however, I think that since the class is concerned with the social and communicative aspects of the internet and ICTs, that pivoting a bit towards exploring SoundCloud and how it affects the learning practices of contemporary music producers makes sense.
I found a good but very short article on SoundCloud: Understanding social media and sound: music, meaning and membership, the case of SoundCloud. I think this article is a great direction to go in, but because SoundCloud is relatively new, I think that I might have to expand my search to include MySpace and possibly to sites that are less social network and more file sharing, as Dr. Gorski mentioned, like Napster and BitTorrent.
Doing a search with Myspace + "music production" was fruitful and led to some good articles. So, I think I'm going on the right track, and it's close enough to my deep interest to still be deeply interesting; also, I believe that learning this context will inform my understanding of music production learning practices in the current state of the internet and ICTs.
Comments
Post a Comment